Research Interests | Publications | Grants | Team Members | Awards | Collaborations | Open Positions
Mgr. Zuzana Koledová, Ph.D.
Phone: +420 549 49 3549
Since 2013 post-doc/junior group leader at Masaryk University, Faculty of Medicine, Brno, CZ
2011-2013 post-doc at The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom (UK)
2010 Ph.D. from Palacky University, Faculty of Medicine, Olomouc, CZ
- Chair of the 11th Annual ENBDC workshop: Methods in Mammary gland biology and breast cancer
- Member of the Editorial board of the Journal of Mammary Gland Biology and Neoplasia
- Committee member of the European Network of Breast Development and Cancer labs
We are interested in the regulation of mammary gland and lung development. We investigate the mechanisms of epithelial morphogenesis and their regulation by cellular signalling networks and by stromal microenvironment. Our ultimate research goal is to understand, how organs are formed and how tumours emerge.
To this end, we use advanced 3D cell culture models (organoids) combined with state-of-the-art imaging techniques and mouse models.
Our current main research topics are:
- Regulation of mammary epithelial branched pattern formation by fibroblast growth factor (FGF) signalling.
- The role of fibroblasts in mammary epithelial branching morphogenesis.
- The role of FGF signalling in lung development.
Koledova Z, Howard BA, Englund J, Bach K, Bentires-Alj M, Gonzalez-Suarez E: European Network of Breast Development and Cancer turned 10 years: a growing family of mammary gland researchers. Breast Cancer Res. 2018;20(1):102.
Garlikova Z, Silva AC, Rabata A, Potesil D, Ihnatova I, Dumkova J, Koledova Z, Zdrahal Z, Vinarsky V, Hampl A, Pinto-do-O P, Nascimento DS (2018) Generation of a Close-to-Native In Vitro System to Study Lung Cells-Extracellular Matrix Crosstalk. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2018;24(1):1-13.
Koledova Z (Ed.). 3D Cell Culture: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology. Springer, New York. ISBN: 978-1-4939-7019-3. http://www.springer.com/us/book/9781493970193
Rabata A, Hampl A, Koledova Z: Lungosphere assay: 3D culture of lung epithelial stem/progenitor cells. In Z Koledova (Ed.) 3D Cell Culture: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1612. Springer, New York. pp. 149-165. ISBN: 978-1-4939-7019-3.
Koledova Z: 3D co-culture of mammary organoids with fibrospheres: A model for studying epithelial-stromal interactions during mammary branching morphogenesis. In Z Koledova (Ed.) 3D Cell Culture: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1612. Springer, New York. pp. 107-124. ISBN: 978-1-4939-7019-3.
Koledova Z: 3D Cell Culture: An Introduction. In Z Koledova (Ed.) 3D Cell Culture: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1612. Springer, New York. pp. 1-11. ISBN: 978-1-4939-7019-3.
Koledova Z, Lu P: A 3D organoid-fibroblast co-culture model for understanding microenvironmental role in epithelial branching morphogenesis. In M Finian, T Stein and J Howlin (Eds.) Mammary Gland Development: Methods and Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 1501. Springer, New York, pp. 217-231. ISBN: 978-1-4939-6473-4.
Koledova Z, Zhang X, Streuli C, Clarke RB, Klein OD, Werb Z, Lu P (2016) SPRY1 Regulates Mammary Epithelial Morphogenesis by Modulating EGFR-dependent Stromal Paracrine Signaling and ECM Remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113(39):E5731-5740.
Zhang X, Martinez D, Koledova Z, Qiao G, Streuli CH, Lu P (2014) FGF ligands of the postnatal mammary stroma regulate distinct aspects of epithelial morphogenesis. Development. 2014;141(17):3352-3362.
We are grateful for funding by: Czech Science Foundation (GAČR), Technology Agency of Czech Republic (TAČR), Masaryk University, Czech Bioimaging
Membership in Scientific Societies
PhD student: Anas Rabata
P-Pool student: Jakub Sumbal
Master students: Adriána Baloghová, Denisa Belisová
Alumni: Tereza Vránová, Júlia Mošková (Šmelková), Matěj Rádsetoulal
Anas Rabata: 1st place at “1st Stem Cell Biology Meeting” in Prušánky, CZ (poster).
Jakub Sumbal: 2nd place at “International Student Congress” in Graz, Austria (talk).
Jakub Sumbal: Amgen Scholars European Programme, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France (summer research programme).
Jakub Sumbal: 2nd place at “Amgen Scholars Closing Ceremony” in Paris, France (poster).
Jakub Sumbal: 1st prize at “Visegrad Group Society for Developmental Biology: Inaugural Meeting” in Brno, CZ (talk, student section).
Jakub Sumbal: 1st prize at “XIX. Meeting of Biochemists and Molecular Biologists” in Brno, CZ (talk, student section).
Zuzana Koledová: 1st place at the “XVII. Interdisciplinary Meeting of Young Biologists, Biochemists and Chemists” in Milovy, CZ (talk, section Biochemistry and Molecular Biology).
Jakub Sumbal: 1st place at “The Biomania Student Scientific Meeting” in Brno, CZ (talk).
Anas Rabata: 2nd place at “Stem Cells and Cell therapy: From research to modern clinical application” (talk, Černá Hora, CZ)
- Jiří Damborský – Loschmidt laboratories and Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
- Jiří Kohoutek – Veterinary Research Institut, Brno, CZ
- Giancarlo Forte – International Clinical Research Center, St. Anne’s Hospital, Brno, CZ
- Edgar Benjamin Montufar Jimenez – CEITEC-Brno University of Technology, Brno, CZ
- Michal Kozubek, Martin Maška – Faculty of Informatics, Masaryk University, Brno, CZ
- Veronika Štěpánková, Barbara Hrdličková – Enantis Ltd., Brno
- Alexander W. Bruce – Faculty of Science, University of South Bohemia, České Budějovice, CZ
- Han Li, Aurélie Chiche – Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
- Thorarinn Gudjonsson – University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
- Europe-wide collaborations within ENBDC, including Robert Clarke from the University of Manchester, Manchester, UK; Mohammed Bentires-Alj from University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Science Communication, Public Engagement
Mentoring of high school students (Secondary School Research): Anna Blahová, Eliška Jandová, Adam Pikna
Reports on our work – TV, press release
We welcome enthusiastic students and scientists to join our team. Please, contact Zuzana Koledová to enquire on open positions: email@example.com
PhD position: Cellular and signaling mechanisms of mammary branching morphogenesis: Implications in normal development and cancer
PhD position: Human lung stem cells: Function and regulation in physiology and pathology
Several Master, Bachelor and P-Pool student projects available!