Category Archives: Where to buy books
For the Thieme Electronic Book Library: You do not need to log in, just click on the relevant section in the left hand side column. These books are a favourite of most students, since they can provide a range of details to summaries of text for every subject.
If you create a login, then you have the advantage to bookmark pages, add notes etc.
Textbooks can be bought from:
1) Univeristy Book Shop: Most recommended textbooks can be found here, along with all the Faculty books.
Address: Kamenice 5, pavilion A9, Bohunice Campus
phone: +420 549493619
2) MIMSA Office: Here we have a collection of second hand textbooks, incl. faculty and non-faculty books.
Address: MIMSA Office, Komenského náměstí
Click HERE to see the book sale list
3) Amazon: All the necessary books can be found here at cheaper prices, than the University bookshop. Most sellers deliver to the Czech Republic as well.
A good opportunity to sell your old unwanted books.
You can give us your books and state the price at which you would like us to sell them for you.
MIMSA will subtract 20 kc from the price.
The next books sale will begin during Orientation Week and will take place in MIMSA office during office hours.
To see the on-line updated books list click here.
We hope that all of you will benefit from this and hope to see you soon, with plenty of books!
(Students of years 2-6, please scroll down for book list information)
For 1st year students, the list of university recommended textbooks can be found at the following link:
- You can buy the books in advance in your home country, buy them on arrival from faculty bookshop in September, or simply borrow the books (limited copies) from the faculty library if you wish not to buy them. You can also order in advance in the Faculty Bookshop (the time of delivery is about 1 month).
Kamenice 5, pavilion A9,
phone: +420 549493619.
- MIMSA will also be running a book sale in orientation week (12th to 25th September) where older students will be offering some of their second hand books at discounted prices.
- Despite the sudden high demand for books which occurs on new student arrival every september, most older students advise you to wait until you arrive in Brno before ordering any books because different students prefer different books despite whatever is recommended, you must decide what will suit you.
When you arrive in Brno for orientation week (during which there will be no lessons) you will have the chance to talk to other students, and so decide better what will be right for you.
- Please note, all books listed as “Faculty edition” in the above link will probably not be available in your home country as they are written by professors of our own faculty. It will be possible to buy these in beginning of semester in the Faculty Bookshop.
For years 2-6, university recommended books for subjects can be found by the following:
1) Look in the orange faculty book and find the course code.
2) Then, Is.muni.cz> LOGIN>COURSES>Browse Catalogue>Enter code (without LF)> Search
3) The course should be found. Click the code >Scroll down to the paragraph titled Literature.
A clearer explanation will follow in the future but hopefully this will help for now.
!! IN ADDITION !!, students find the following books very helpful. Those marked ** are particulary popular.
TITLE: Instant Anatomy **
AUTHOR: Robert H. Whitaker
TITLE: First aid manual **
AUTHOR: Andrew K. Marsden
TITLE: TALKING MEDICINE: Czech for Medical Students
AUTHOR: Cermakova, I
TITLE: Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: Microbiology **
AUTHOR: Richard A Harvey, Pamela C Champe
CLINICAL EXAMINATION IN SURGERY
TITLE: Introduction to Surgery
CLINICAL EXAMINATION IN INTERNAL MEDICINE
TITLE: Physical Examination in Internal Medicine **
AUTHOR: Chrobak, L. et al
TITLE: Macleod’s Clinical Examination
AUTHOR: Graham Douglas , Fiona Nicol , Colin Robertson
TITLE: Robbins Basic Pathology
AUTHOR: Vinay Kumar MBBS MD FRCPath
TITLE: Crash Course: Pathology
AUTHOR: Bethan Goodman Jones BSc(Hons) PhD
TITLE: Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews: Pharmacology, 4th Edition **
AUTHOR: Richard A Harvey , Pamela C Champe
TITLE: Clinical Pharmacology Made Ridiculously Simple
AUTHOR: James Olson
TITLE: Medical Pharmacology at a Glance
AUTHOR: Michael J. Neal
TITLE: Medical Genetics
AUTHOR: George H. Sack, Jr
TITLE: Crash Course: Neurology **
AUTHOR: Anish Bahra
TITLE: Infectious Diseases. 1 **
AUTHOR: Husa, Petr
WEB PDF: http://www.med.muni.cz/index.php?id=484 **
TITLE: Ear, nose and throat diseases :a pocket reference **
AUTHOR: Becker, Walter, Hans Heinz Naumann, Carl Rudolf Pfaltz – Theime
ISBN: ISBN 3-13-671202-1
TITLE: Ophthalmology : Pocket Textbook Atlas **
AUTHOR: Lang, Theime
TITLE: Oncology: An Illustrated Colour Text
AUTHOR: Orla McArdle
TITLE: Forensic Medicine **
AUTHOR: Hirt, Miroslav
TITLE: Dermatology: An Illustrated Colour Text **
AUTHOR: David Gawkrodger MD